Frequently Asked Questions

Water, Wastewater (Sewer), and Solid Waste (Trash and Recycling) Services 

The Fern Bluff Municipal Utility District has a group of utility professionals on staff and in the district to manage and operate your water and wastewater services. Our offices are located in our Community Center at:

Fern Bluff MUD
7320 Wyoming Springs Dr.
Round Rock, TX  78681
One Call Does It All: (512) 238-0606
Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm
Emergency Calls: (512) 238-0606, 24 hrs, 7-days/wk

To establish new service, please fill out an application and contact us:
Calls: (512) 238-0606
In Person: 7320 Wyoming Springs Dr., Round Rock, TX  78681

All billing and customer service questions as well as suspected leak notifications or emergency calls go to just one number, (512) 238-0606. Should you have a district question, please send an email to The General Manager for the Fern Bluff MUD, Janey Miller, may be reached at (512) 238-0606 and in emergencies, at (512) 788-0336 or

There are many convenient ways to Pay Your Bill.

The remittance address for all water, wastewater and trash bill payments:
P.O. Box 682347
Houston, TX 77268-2347

Privacy Policy

Fern Bluff MUD – Privacy Policy

We respect your right to privacy.  We will only collect personally identifiable information, such as name address, phone number, etc.) that you voluntarily provide to us for new utility service or through our web site, mobile app or email correspondence.  We reserve the right to modify this privacy policy at any time.

We do not share, sell or otherwise release any data collected.  As a government entity, we may be required to provide government documents of a public nature.  State and Federal laws allow access to government records and we are committed to providing as much public content as possible while safeguarding protected confidential information.

Trash and Recycling

The Fern Bluff MUD will set up new solid waste service for trash and recycling at the same time that water and wastewater service is established. Fern Bluff MUD has contracted for trash and recycling pickup with Republic Services (formerly Central Texas Refuse) and residents are provided separate carts for each (brown for trash and green for recycling.) Trash service is every Monday, beginning at 7:00 am. Single Stream Recycling is provided on an every other week schedule. The District is split into Sections “A” and “B” for recycling and your pick day will be determined by your address in the district. You may view a map and calendar for these sections by clicking this link

Each green cart has an attached laminate card/sticker with an “Accepted” and “Not Accepted” list on it.

Republic Services
Phone (512) 255-4980

Utility Charges

1) What are my water rates?

  • Minimum Base Charge – $20.00
  • Per 1,000 gallons – $3.60
    Per 1,000 gallons over 15,001 – $4.00
  • plus a mandatory TCEQ fee of 0.05%

2) What are my wastewater (sewer) rates?

  • Minimum Base Charge – $6.75
  • Per 1,000 gallons – $3.40
  • Wastewater Averaging is the method of determining the volume of water used by a resident that enters the sewer system and is NOT used outside for irrigation, car washing etc. The averaging will take place from November to February. The resident is only billed for this volume throughout the year. For more details please see details at the bottom of this page.

3) What are my garbage (trash) rates?

  • Garbage (per connection) – $23.00 /month
    (includes weekly garbage pickup and bi-monthly single-stream recycling)
    Trash Pickup days are Monday, Recycling-every other Monday

4) What is a Storm Water Drainage Fee?

  • The District is required to maintain a storm water permit (MS4) with the TCEQ.  The Storm Water Drainage Fee of $.55/month is used to comply with this permit’s requirements.

5) Why is the MUD “wasting” water from a Fire Hydrant?

You may have seen it many times and thought to yourself, “what a waste of good water?”

Periodically flushing water mains through fire hydrants is a routine maintenance activity which is important to the integrity of the district’s water distribution system.  Flushing removes harmless minerals and sediment that collect in the mains and helps to ensure high water quality.

Hydrant flushing is important for ensuring chlorine residuals remain at constant optimal levels to prevent bacteria growth.  Disinfection (chlorine concentrations) degrades the longer it is in the water, which means flushing helps keep the water moving and keeps pipes from stagnating.

Please know, The Fern Bluff MUD never wants to waste our water, but flushing is necessary to maintain high water quality and it’s a standard practice in the water industry as a regulated function for water providers.

6) How do I set up Water, Sewer and Trash Pickup?

In-person at our MUD offices (located in our community center) at:
Fern Bluff MUD
7320 Wyoming Springs Dr.
Round Rock, TX  78691
(512) 238-0606

Online at:

7) Can I pay for my water and trash with automatic draft payment?

Yes, the district offers several options for bill payments, including automatic drafts and credit card payment, with a VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card. We also offer online bill pay with electronic checks either one-time payments or monthly drafts via check accounts or credit/debit card. There is a convenient payment drop-box located at the Community Center, 7320 Wyoming Springs Dr.

8) What is the policy for delinquency?

A late charge of 10% of the amount of the bill shall be added for each monthly billing date the delinquent amount remains unpaid. Such amount shall be increased as the District’s costs from its general manager increases from time to time for assessment of delinquent accounts. If a bill remains delinquent for fifteen (15) days, or is paid with a check which is dishonored, water service shall be discontinued in accordance with this paragraph. Prior to termination, the customer shall be notified of the amount due by letter sent by first class mail. Once a notice of termination has been sent to a customer, payment of the amount due must be made in the form of cash, cashier’s check or money order only. No personal checks will be accepted. A delinquent bill renders the entire amount delinquent and the entire amount must be paid in order to avoid interruption of service. The notice shall state the date upon which water service shall be terminated, which date shall be not less than seven (7) days from the date such notice is sent. Such notice shall state the time and place at which the account may be paid and that any errors in the bill may be corrected by contacting the District’s representative, whose telephone number shall also be given in such notice. Provided, however, that in the event the customer contacts the District’s representative within such seven (7) day period, the District’s representative may, at its option, allow the customer to make arrangements to pay the delinquent amount in installments to be approved by the District’s representative. After termination of service, all amounts due must be paid by the customer by cashier’s check, money order or cash, prior to resumption of service. No personal checks will be accepted.

9) Who do I call if I have a water/sewer leak or problem?

The Fern Bluff MUD is responsible for the maintenance and repair of its water and sewer main lines which run throughout the district. These lines are then connected to each residential water meter near the street (or to the sewer connection near the private property line.) The MUD is responsible for its main lines and each homeowner is responsible for the water and sewer lines on each homeowner lot. Individual homeowners are responsible for any leaks from the water meter to the house and from the district sewer connection to the residence. The MUD cannot repair plumbing on private property. If you have a problem, please contact a plumber. If you see a leak at your meter, please contact the MUD. If you see unexplained water running in the street or water bubbling up from any area, please contact the MUD’s emergency line at (512) 238-0606 or call the MUD’s General Manager, Janey Miller at (512) 788-0336.

10)  Filling a Swimming Pool

If you are filling a swimming pool, you will be charged Fern Bluff MUD’s normal retail rate per 1000/gallons for the water to fill your pool on your monthly water billing.  However, if you are filling your pool during the sewer averaging months, the amount used to fill your pool may be deducted from your winter water use average when calculating your upcoming sewer average.  Please send a written request to by March 1st after your pool is filled.

11) Who handles the law enforcement of the MUD?

Williamson County Sheriff’s Department
508 S. Rock St.
Georgetown, TX 78626
(512) 943-1300
Emergency, call 911

12) Where is the closest Fire Department?

Sam Bass Fire Department
1001 Great Oaks Drive
Round Rock, Texas 78681
Non-Emergency Phone: (512) 255-0100

13) Who do I call to set up my electricity?

If you live in Stone Canyon and Fern Bluff subdivisions, you may contact:
Texas Public Utility web site for information on numerous electrical providers –visit:

If you live in the Oak Brook subdivision contact:
Pedernales Electric Co-op

14) Who do I contact to set up my natural gas service?

Atmos Energy Corporation
New Service: (888) 286-6700

Customer Service: (866) 322-8667 or call 9-1-1

15) Who is the local cable company?

Spectrum – Customer Service: (877) 463-0677

AT&T – Customer Service : (844)-951-0725

16) How can I reach the Williamson County offices?

Williamson County

17) Where do I pay my property taxes?

Williamson County Tax Office collects the taxes for the Fern Bluff MUD.
Round Rock Office:  1801 E. Old Settler’s Blvd, #115, Round Rock, TX  78664
Phone: (512) 943-1601, website:

18) What is the tax rate for the Fern Bluff MUD?

The tax rate for 2023 is $0.20/$100 in home value.

19) What is Winter Wastewater Averaging?

The District’s Rate Order states that bills for sewer service shall be computed (1) based upon the average usage amount during the winter season averaged from the customer’s water meter monthly readings for the preceding months of mid-November through mid-February (December, January and February bills) or (2) based on the customer’s current monthly water bill, whichever is lower.

If a customer does not have a history of water usage for the previous mid-November through mid-February monthly water service (December, January and February bills), the sewer bill shall be calculated based upon (1) the customer’s current monthly water usage or (2) based on 8,000 gallons of water usage per month, whichever is less.

Winter months are used to calculate the sewer averaging because historically customers use less water this time of year.  To save money on your sewer bill for the next year, the district recommends that automatic irrigation systems be turned off during the winter season as plants and grass are in their dormant stage.

Any customer filling a pool during the averaging month’s may be allowed to subtract the water usage for the month the pool filled from their average.  A customer that experiences a house line leak during the averaging months may request a reduction for the amount attributable to the leak.  All such requests must be in writing and repair documentation provided and sent to:  Janey Miller, General Manager or mailed to Fern Bluff MUD, 7320 Wyoming Springs Dr., Round Rock, TX  78681.